Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Day 5 - Shhhhh...I'm Having An Affair





I realize this is only day five of my 365 guitar project. But one thing I've noticed is that this project, and specifically the habit of playing daily has
 

Rekindled the passion.


When I first started learning guitar it was difficult and felt like work.   However, once I mastered a few simple chords and put them together as songs, I became very enthusiastic and passionate about playing. I wanted to play all the time. I rarely walked by my blue Esteban acoustic without picking up the instrument and strumming a few chords. 

 

Just like spending time with a lover, I couldn't get enough.

 
Then life happens.  I found a day or two might go by without playing.  I finished my beginner online course and really stayed stagnant.  I just played the same easy songs over and over. It was still pleasurable, but the passion was dwindling.

 

Oh god it's like marriage.

 
(Not mine of course, lol.)

In June I went on vacation so I was separated from my guitar for a few weeks. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I didn't find that to be true at all.  When I returned I found excuses to spend my free time on other activities.

 

After that trip, I had a brief but torrid affair

 
with diet and exercise.  Workouts consumed all my energy since I was trying to look amazing (or my version of amazing) for an important trip to Las Vegas in October.  I rarely played the month prior to the trip and when I returned I had to focus on catching up in all other areas of life.  The guitar was neglected.
 

Trying to rekindle the romance was part of the reason I began my 365 Guitar Project.

 
I am just five days into the project but already I feel the familiar sparks of passion.  I want to play.  I need to play.  I look forward  to spending time with my guitars.

 

So for now I will nourish this passion and revel in it.

 

I'd like to keep this love affair alive for good this time!

 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment