Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Day 13 - A Trip To The Library

My library music book haul.

I  can't remember the last time I visited the library.  It was so long ago that I didn't have my library card in my purse.  In fact, I couldn't even find my library card;  I had to "borrow" my youngest son's card.

I stopped in to find a cookbook, but couldn't resist browsing the music aisle.  I found a few Christmas music books to mess around with.  Oh, and I picked up a "how to" fingerstyle tutorial as well.

The book that blew my mind was the second from the left in this photo.  It's 50 Three Chord Christmas Songs.  And yes, there are only three chords in the book:  C, G and D7.  I'm curious why the D7, but I suppose it has something to do with the music theory I am totally missing.

My youngest son always accuses me of playing the same song, even when I'm not -- he says they all sound the same.  I normally disagree, but the Christmas songs with three chords?  Yes, they all sound alike, lol.  However, it was great fun playing around in that book.



I also briefly opened the Mel Bay Christmas Encyclopedia:  Fingerstyle Edition.  Unlike the fingerstyle I am used to (basically playing a pattern throughout the song) this taught you the melody and accompanying chords.  Am I even saying that right?  Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know the proper musical terms.  Let's just say it is more than just a random pattern that repeats.

I sort of gave up on the fingerstyle part of the book, because I really don't want to focus on learning one specific song (for a moment I had flashbacks to the time I was trying to learn Hysteria, but that's a story for another day).  Instead,  I want to practice skills that I can use for many songs.  I did, however, play some of the Christmas carols simply strumming the chords.

My favorite (today) was What Child is This?  That song is not one of my favorite Christmas carols, but I really enjoyed the chord progression.  It was nice music - with or without the words.  Plus it had my favorite chord of the moment - E7, lol.

Until tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment