Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 14 - Let's Get The Show On The Road

What does this have to do with my practice??


Even though I changed my pick hold and have been focusing on regaining my strumming mojo, I feel like I've been stagnant. I HAVE been stagnant. Playing what I am comfortable with is what I have been doing for months.  My lack of progress is one of the reasons I've started this 365 Guitar Project.

It's time to get this show on the road.  


(Why is there an obscure MSB logo above?  

You must read to the end to find out - it is relevant, I promise!)


Time to make some plans. So, while freezing my ass off at the orthodontist office, I formulated a rough schedule for the coming week.  I will basically revisit the Justin Guitar beginner course and review all the lessons.  If I feel I need work in an area, then I'll stop and practice until I feel competent.  There is no rush.

There are 9 stages to the beginner course.  I expect to blast through the first three, but I know I will have to linger a bit over some of the others.  The first time through the course I could do those skills, but certainly not with the finesse I need.  Like the B7 chord for instance.  It takes me a bit to get to that chord.  I can't smoothly transition to B7.  Hence the need for more time and more practice.  I have my whole life ahead of me.

In each instance I will follow Justin's practice schedule which is broken down into chunks of time devoted to each area.

My Practice Schedule



Day 14
Thursday
Review Stage 1

Day 15
Friday
Review Stage 2

Day 15
Saturday
Review Stage 3

Day 16
Sunday

Review and practice any of the above.

Day 17
Monday
Review Stage 4

Day 18
Tuesday

Review and practice any of the above. 

Day 19
Wednesday

Review and practice any of the above.

Day 20
Thursday
Review and practice any of the above or “fun day.”

Day 21
Assess progress and (gulp) record myself.  Make plan for next week.
Have a beer!



Answer to "why is there an obscure MSB logo above?"


Let's Get the Show on the Road reminds me of the song, by the same name, written and performed by the Michael Stanley Band.  When I was growing up in the Cleveland area the Michael Stanley Band were like rock gods.  Seriously, they were the biggest act in town.  Their concerts sold more tickets than other well-known acts, and they set arena records.  I looked up the stats a few months ago for something else; I'll have to dig those out.  MSB was amazing.  My first concert ever was MSB at the Agora Ballroom.  I saw them at least once every single year until I moved out of the area.  

Since MSB was at the top of their game before the video era, it's tough to find recordings on YouTube.  I did find this solo performance by Michael Stanley doing an acoustic version of Let's Get the Show on the Road in 1997.  I noticed we have the same guitar!

PS: here is a link to the tabs on Songsterr:  Let's Get the Show on the Road,  Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment