Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day 16 - The Metronome: My New Best Friend




 


On the agenda for today was to review Stage 3 of the Justin Guitar beginner's course.  It is pretty easy stuff - G and C chords, a finger stretching exercise and names of the open strings.

Confession:  I still have to say Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie when tuning my guitar.  I am pitiful.




Day 15
Saturday
Review Stage 3

Oh yeah, there was one more thing on the agenda, and that was Rhythm Guitar Basics 1.  Actually it was nice reviewing that video because it shows just how far along I've come.  Even with my recent strumming issues, it was a breeze. 

The secret of successful strumming, according to Justin is that you "have to keep your hand moving evenly all the time."  So there you have it.

The strumming lesson also reminded me of something I had conveniently blocked from my memory:

The Importance of Using a Metronome.

 

Somehow I never paid much attention to the metronome the first time through the course.  As in NO attention.  Just skipped over it.  This time I will force myself to make the metronome my new best friend.  OMG.  It's probably a good thing because really my timing stinks.  I always rush songs.  When I go to play along with my iPod I am always surprised how slow the songs are.  And even when I start out with the correct beat, I speed up.  Yes, this is a problem.
 
 
So I forced myself to use the metronome while playing today.  It was a challenge, I'm not gonna lie.  And then I found I kept WATCHING the little "metronome thingie" move from side to side, rather than concentrating on the sound it was making.  Maybe I'm a visual learner - I don't know.  I just suspect that is not a good habit to get into.
 
 

A brief diversion.

 
Recently I saw a tweet from Phil X telling new (young) guitarists to use a metronome.  I can't find that quote readily, but I did find a guitar clinic video of Phil speaking to the importance of practicing things (such as scales) super slow WITH A METRONOME and then, as you complete it perfectly, gradually move up in speed.  In doing it correctly and slowly, you are building up the muscle memory.
 
 
 




I'll have to revisit this once I'm reading to build speed, lol. 

Soooo, all in all it was a good practice.  I feel like finally I have my strumming back to where it was before I changed the pick hold. 

Tomorrow I was supposed to review anything I still needed to spend time on from Stages 1, 2 or 3.  I'm good with all of those so, instead, I will review Stage 4.  I'll probably have to spend at least a day or two here because one of the chords is B7 and I'm not lightning fast transitioning to that one.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment